I was thinking about the apostle Paul.
Did you know he did LOTS of time? In fact, a lot of the New Testament was written from jail.
What are the things that are so yucky about incarceration? *
- Heat and cold (physical discomfort)
- Yucky room mates and overcrowding (again physical comfort)
- Judgement from without and cynicism from within are very real obstacles.
- Gross food (once again lack of physical comforts of personal freedoms)
- Getting bossed by unpleasant folks (lack of personal power)
- Boredom (again lack of personal power)
Not to be a downer, but just keeping it real: chronic terminal illness shares every single one of those things.
I find that as my body suffers
- Sin loses its power
- The gift of perspective is within my reach. Bullsh–t no longer can attract me when I am suffering. I can see 👀 clearly. It’s GOT to be real.
- my attitude becomes more and more my own choice. attitude
- my spirit flourishes
- My heart is pain-softened and humbled and kind.
I’ll take it.